RELATIVE PRONOUNS II
Que, Qui, Dont
Ce qui, Ce qui, Ce dont
A. 1. If the antecedent noun (in the main clause)
is subject of the verb in the dependent clause, use the
relative pronoun "qui" to link the two clauses.
2. If the antecedent noun is direct object of the verb in the
dependent clause, use the relative pronoun "que" to
link the two clauses.
3. If the antecedent noun is the object of an expression
requiring the preposition "de" in the dependent
clause, use the relative pronoun "dont" to link the
1. Elle a passé un examen qui est
2. Elle a passé les examens que tu as
3. Elle a passé celui dont tu as parlé.
4. Elle a vu le père dont la fille est
*Note, that a past participle in a subordinate
clause agrees with the antecedent noun of the relative
Exercises. Translate (whole sentences):Click for vocabulary help
1. She spoke to the farmer who was working in his
2. They know the government employee whom you met yesterday
(to meet=faire la connaissance de).
3. What is the name of the play that you read to us
B. If the antecedent of "qui,"
"que," or "dont" refers to an indefinite
idea that has not been mentioned or to a clause, this
antecedent is "ce." It is often translated as
"what" or "which." If "ce qui,"
"ce que," or "ce dont" are preceded by
"tout" they mean "everything that" or
1. Donnez-lui ce dont il aura besoin
pour vivre seul dans un appartement.= Give him what
he will need in order to live alone in an apartment.
2. Tout ce qui est bon pour la santé n'est
pas nécessairement agréable à manger.=Everything
that is good for one's health is not necessarily
good to eat.
3. Voilà ce que je n'accepterai
jamais.=That's what I will never accept.
for vocabulary help
1. They worked hard, which was what mattered.
2. Does she know what he writes about?
3.Do what you can.
Exercises (que, ce que, qui, ce qui, dont, ce
dont). (complete sentences):
Click for vocabulary
1. Bring the book that you spoke about.
2. We translated what he said.
3. He knows what would make her happy.
4. Show me the elementary teacher whose classroom is big
5. The girl that I marry will have long blond hair.
6. What she wants ("avoir envie de") is to be
7. The film that interests me will be shown this evening.
(Avoid the passive voice)
the field=le champ
the government worker=le fonctionnaire
the play=la pièce
to make happy=rendre heureux
to translate=traduire (conjugated by conduire)
to have X hair=avoir les cheveux + X
to show a film=passer un film
Nom de l'exercice:
Adresse de courrier électronique:
pour soumettre vos réponses au professeur.